Sorry, I couldn’t figure out any awesome song-inspired lines for my post title today, so we’re stuck with straight forward today. Forgive me? Awesome. You’re the best.
When I think of fiber arts/fiber crafts, I think of knitting & crocheting. But that’s really just because that’s the primary form I practice. But just because I don’t do them, doesn’t mean they don’t exist, or that I don’t want to do them.
So what else is out there? Well technically anything made with a plant fiber is considered fiber arts. Which I think could technically include paper, since paper is usually made from wood or cotton…but it’s got it’s own category…”paper crafting”. Cue the little green aliens from Toy Story.. “Oooooooooohh”. That’s right. Paper is just that darn fancy. Ever since it got turned into money it’s been turning it’s nose up at the rest of the crafting world. Just kidding. I really have no idea why it’s in it’s own category, but you know what? That just means I’ll have to do a series on paper crafting later…right? I have to right? Ow ow ow okay you twisted my arm. It’ll happen.
Okay so back on track. Sorry. I did warn you yesterday that I’m easily distracted sometimes.
Okay so other forms include:
- Tatting (totally used to look at this stuff in a craft book my Mom had.)
- Macrame (Kinda reminds me of these wooden beaded seat covers my parents used to have in their van.)
- Sewing (I have a sewing machine…I have for almost 4 years now. Still don’t know how to use it. I know. More craft shame for me.)
- Quilting (Quilting is like paper…it’s too good to be included in regular old sewing. So many snooty crafts…you didn’t know did you? Hehe)
- Basketry (I’ve wanted to do this for years, but the closest I’ve gotten is those little woven paper heart basket things…but as we just discovered paper is not fiber. I know I’m a smarty-pants. I’d love to blame the military, or kids, or my husband…but I hear tell that I was an ornery child too. I know…totally hard to believe, right? I hear you snorting over there. You cut that out!)
- Weaving (Weaving is one of those nifty crafts that goes way way back…like spinning. I always thought spinning seemed like it would be fun to learn, just because…well almost no one does it anymore.)
- Rug Hooking (I used to latch-hook as a kid. Okay I had one project. Okay I never even finished it. Another check on the craft-shame tally for me please!)
- Braiding (I’m assuming for rugs and such, but I used to make bracelets this way too.)
There’s more, lot’s more…but that’s a good start. Oh, and just in case any of you are the type to go check things for yourselves…yes in some circles paper crafting gets included with fiber crafting. But the majority of fiber crafting circles don’t include it as far as I can tell, so we will roll with that. Or I will. You can roll with whatever you want. 🙂
Okay so, which of these fiber arts will you be focusing on this month? Do you gravitate towards any in particular, or do you like them all? Please comment! Comments feed my soul, and my mother is a ginger so you know I need all the help I can get! 😉 (Love you Mom.)
If you’d like to go check out some other awesome challenges, or sign up yourself, hurry over to The Nester, and join in the fun!